Pitch to Black Ballad
Pitch to Black Ballad
We see Black Ballad as the ultimate modern media company. Beyond our content, we organise events, create community initiatives and work with brands and advertisers in a way that is true to us and never compromises our relationship with black women. However, our editorial content is and will always be the heart and soul of this media company.
With that in mind, we are looking for content across text, video and audio that is original, engaging and impactful for our black women. With our platform being created for and powered by black women, we only commission those with the lived experience of black women to achieve our mission and vision and of course, we pay for all commissions as we respect and value the labour of black women.
The ‘Do’s and ‘Don’t’s of Pitching To Black Ballad
- We’ve been publishing original writing from black women since 2014, so do make sure you have a read of Black Ballad to know the kinds of articles we publish and what we have covered before.
- Do pitch fresh, innovative stories that the mainstream media would consider “niche”.
- Do think beyond “race” and consider the multi-faceted nuances of the experience of being a black woman
- Do include original reporting by speaking to others who have the lived experience of black women, do include statistics and do include interviews with experts on the subject matter you are covering.
- Do give us five working days before chasing. Don’t pitch or chase pitches on our social media channels (the editorial team do not monitor them). If you don’t hear back or have a pitch refused, please do pitch again in future. It’s never personal.
- Don’t send fully-written articles as pitches. They will not be read or accepted under any circumstances.
- Don’t pitch through third parties (e.g. publicists or PRs), please pitch directly. It saves everyone’s time and makes the editorial process so much smoother.
- Don’t pitch or submit ghostwritten articles under any circumstances. If we have reason to believe that an article is being written by a third party, we will cancel the submission and will not accept any pitches in the future.
Great pitches that turned into great stories
How To Layout Your Pitch:
Please use this structure and layout below in order to be considered for a commission:
- Subject Line: PITCH* - Working title of the article
- If the pitch is timely, or urgent, start the subject line with URGENT PITCH
- 3-4 bullet points or short paragraphs summarising the main points of the article
- A sentence that explains why your pitch works for our readers beyond the fact that they are black, British and female
- Examples of your work on other media platforms/blogs if you haven't been commissioned by Black Ballad before
- If you are writing an opinion piece or a longer investigation, please always include whether you plan to interview anyone else, use statistics or plan to reference other works about the topic you are pitching
- Include a short bio introducing who you are and your social media handles
- Please send all pitches to email@example.com
What We Are Currently Looking For
- Features on black women's relationship with beauty and fashion
- Stories from Black British women living outside of London
- Stories from black women across Europe
- Fresh stories around dating/relationships
Good luck and we look forward to hearing your ideas!
Book Publicists & PRs
We love books and all things literary at Black Ballad, as do our audience. We accept proofs/review copies of books by black women authors for consideration, but we do not publish straight reviews. Instead we try to cover books and authors in creative ways over our social platforms and website.
We do publish features from authors (please see pitching guidelines above) and we also work with authors and publishing houses on events and promotional activities across our platforms. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for our books and literature media kit.
Black Ballad has a track record of successful partnerships across various sectors. For more information on ways that your brand or organisation can work with Black Ballad please email email@example.com.