Pitch to Black Ballad
So, you want to write for Black Ballad? We are constantly on the lookout for black women in Britain to create engaging, impactful stories for our members. Before you send us your pitches, please make sure you take into account the following points.
- Black Ballad is a platform created for & powered by black women in Britain. Therefore, we only commission those with lived experiences of being a black woman in Britain, so they can tell their own stories, on their own terms.
- We are blessed to have created a platform where our members pay a membership fee to get engaging stories that mainstream media can't and won't tell. Because we have a high editorial bar, please don't be offended if we do not commission your work. When we commission our work, we always ask ourselves, "would our members be happy to pay for this story?"
- As we charge our memberships for access to Black Ballad, it is only right and fair that we pay those the writers that we commission. And because we are paying you for your labour, please make sure you stick to deadlines and any guidelines specific to your commission. If deadlines are missed without notification, your publication and fee will be at risk.
- Please make sure you browse the website before you pitch. There is nothing worse than receiving a pitch for an article we published in the previous week.
- Be original. Any pitches that essentially say: Dealing With Being The Only A Black Girl In The Office will be immediately deleted. Don't get us wrong, those experiences, along with the experience of being liberated by natural hair, are important. But we have all read stories like these on other sites and social platforms - remember, we want stories that our audience would be happy to pay for.
- Do not send us articles that have already been written in full. Instead, follow the guidelines below.
Laying out your pitch
When sending your pitch, please structure it in the following fashion:
Subject Line: PITCH* - Working title of article
*If the pitch is timely, or urgent, start the subject line with URGENT PITCH
- 3 - 4 bullet points or short paragraphs summarising the main points
- A sentence that explains why your pitch works for our readers beyond the fact that they are Black, British & female
- Examples of your work on other media platforms/blogs if you haven't been commissioned by Black Ballad before
Who to contact
- For stories about Science, Tech and Literature please contact Jeni Benson on email@example.com
- For stories about Beauty, Health and Black British History please contact Tobi Oredein on firstname.lastname@example.org
- For all other pitches on insightful and/or personal essays, fresh and original takes on pop culture, or any other pitches or interviews that you think black women in Britain would be interested in reading, please email email@example.com